Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Fly in the River Arguement - An Atheists Poem



In a tortured land we don’t hear them cry,
Somalia’s people live with a strange little fly. 


The fighting stopped, the sandstorms gone away
Eight year old Almar has run out to play.
He’s chasing a ball much like all kids on earth
With his friends that he’s known since the time of his birth.
A tiny small prick he soon feels on his neck,
But he’s covered in scars so he thinks – what the heck.
Little does he know a worm that lives in a bug
Will now go into his eye, he’ll be blind-can’t afford the drug. 
Such a complicated symbiosis between man, bug and worm
Evolved long ago, „evolved”, there I said it, yes that’s the term. 

Do you really want to tell me from on your pedestal?
That this course of action was not accidental?
Jesus or Vishnu , Allah or Christ
Are fucking sick in the head to pull off this heist.

We should stick to the facts, and stop a second to think
And see what we have, step away from the stink
Of thousands of years of hatred and war,
Chopping off bits and afraid to explore,
The beauty of Earth, the sun and the stars
The planets nearby like Venus and Mars
The beauty of a face not covered by veil
We can’t see their smile, stunning and frail. 

Do we need an almighty, watching above
To make us unite in his totalitarian love?
Does this make me do good, stop beating my wife?
Helping my neighbour and loving my life?
I don’t fucking think so, please credit me that
So I don’t go off killing your mother and cat.

Please teach in the schools how morality wins
But isn’t dictated by a fear of Gods sins
Be nice to your neighbour, don’t be a dickhead,
Should just be assumed and not have to be read
In two thousand year old books dug out from the sand,
Out of time, out of place, from a faraway land. 

When they call to the door to teach me their stuff
I don’t slam the door, nor do I laugh at their guff,
I’ll invite them for coffee, scones or some tea
And politely inform them that this stuffs not for me.
There’s people out there who use their belief
To get on with their life through hardship and grief.
And that’s good for them, whatever works, works
I guess nineteen eighty four did have its perks.
But faith is just that, a belief with no proof
It can be discredited as quick as any old spoof.

That’s not me being cruel or looking for fights
It’s about freedom of speech and all women’s rights.
And belief in all science, and medicines too
The companies are hypocrites but there’s truth in their brew.
A huge tiger’s cock or a black rhino’s horn
Won’t save us from things with which we were born. 
Cutting off things like a little girls clit
Will just get infected and hurt quite a bit.

So to go back to the start and recap real quick
If there is an almighty he is quite the dick.
Our world is not perfect we’ve made it that way,
Since religion and greed have entered the fray.

Just be happy with things that are all around
There’s no need to assume anything too profound.
Like that fairies and angels planted all of our trees
They didn’t I’m afraid but without them we’d freeze,
Cause over millions of years they’ve made timber and coal
And oxygen to breath, which gets us out of a hole. 

See everything happened accidentally on purpose
And things just died out that seemed kind of superfluous.
Evolution it’s called so go check it out
You’ll not burst into flames or get venereal gout.
Just be nice to your neighbour, don’t rape, steal or pollute,
Say hi to a stranger on your daily commute.
Give an old man spare change, and step over that ant.
Read some Charles Darwin and water your plant.
And if you insist on loving “Our Lord”
Keep it to yourself cause its making me bored.

Do me a favour though and practice what you preach. 
So let’s take off the burkha and allow freedom of speech.
And acknowledge the T-Rex buried deep under our feet
Saying he was put there is a shitty old cheat.

We can sing Hallelujah and all clap our hands
But first let us stop the expansion of sands
And drying up rivers and lakes filled with salt
Yes even with God we’re still all at fault.

Unfortunately I feel that if you’re of some belief
You won’t change your mind so I’ll save you the grief
Of another long rant about how you’re insane
Just look in your head and imagine your brain
It took an awfully long time to get that thing right
So please use it correctly and our future is bright.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything. Pretty controversial stuff in there and probably would cause a lot of trouble if the wrong (right) people read it. Brave stuff. I enjoyed it - I made me laugh and flinch. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've hit the nail on the head in the 7th verse but you only mention it in passing. For millions of people living shitty lives hope is all they've got, and religion provides that hope.
    I've no problem with religion at its most basic: hope and love, that's all any of the creeds are. But some dicks had to fuck it all up for their own benefit and science isn't immune to the same problem (as you allude to in the final stanza). It's human greed that is the problem and I don't see why should deprive people of the benefits of religion just as we shouldn't deprive people of the benefits of science.
    Anyway, love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete